TMJ in Aventura | Risks of Untreated TMJ Disorder
TMJ, also known as Temporomandibular Joint Disorder, is a condition that causes pain and dysfunction in the bones, teeth and muscles of the temporomandibular joint. It’s something that affects about 10 million people in the United States by prohibiting them from chewing, talking and even yawning comfortably. Yet only about 50 to 60 percent of these people will seek treatment. While the condition is not a life-threatening one, leaving your TMJ in Aventura untreated can cause the following to happen:
- Clicking of the jaw during regular movements
- Premature wear and tear from grinding or clenching teeth
- Fractured teeth and worn down enamel
- Facial swelling; unsymmetrical muscle growth over time
- Serious jaw problems, such as locked jaw or jaw dislocation
- Tinnitus or permanently compromised hearing
- Trouble sleeping at night or even insomnia
- Severe headaches and migraines
And in addition, leaving TMJ untreated can cause many to turn to harmful ways of handling the constant pain. People can easily fall prey to alcoholism and/or drug abuse to mask the negative symptoms. They can also develop eating disorders if they avoid the foods that further upset their condition. All of these issues can lead to depression, which in turn can affect a person’s job performance, personal relationships and overall quality of life.
Treat Your TMJ in Aventura!
As you can see, leaving a TMJ disorder untreated can have many harmful consequences. So if you have this condition, it’s time to start looking at your options. Here at Oral Facial Reconstruction and Implant Center, we have a wide range of treatments that will get your TMJ in Aventura under control and help ease the pain. Contact us today!